6.3.2010

Oh, When Will the Morning Star Ascend





Oh, When Will the Morning Star Ascend
translation by Petri Tikka (2010)
Koska valaissee kointähtönen
Anders Odhelius (1745), Finnish trans.
(suom.) 1790 etc.
Oh, when will the morning star ascend,
light up this beggar poor?

Oh, when will the nightly journey end?

It is still dark, obscure.

Towards the skies I all the time

lift up my longing eyes.

Though I don't see the light sublime,

I know it never dies.

Oh, when will the light as pledge of grace
dawn on my troubled heart?

Oh, when will your joy my pain replace,

when will unfaith depart?

If only I could see it now,

your blessedness, O Lord!

Though still you did not this allow,

one day I'll be restored.


O Lord Jesus, this I ask of you

from deep within my soul:

with your Spirit tend me and renew,

in sorrows me console.

My Lord, yourself illuminate

to depths I cannot see.

My conscience then will not berate,

your blood will set me free.


Once the power of your blood I know,

most precious, shed for me,

I'll no longer waste what you bestow,

your gift so great, and flee.

Oh, make me yearn for you alone

and empty me entire,

let all else be for me unknown

but grace that you acquire.


O Lord Jesus, in this certain hope

I step before your face.

Tearful at the end of my own rope,

I ask and beg for grace.

I will not go till you employ

your wounds that me imbue

with blessed peace and blissful joy,

in faith I plead with you.
Koska valaissee kointähtönen
mua köyhää kerjääjää?
Koska päättyy matka yöllinen?
On yhä hämärää.
Taivaalle nostan yhtenään
katseeni kaipaavan.
Valoa jos en näekään,
sen tiedän loistavan.

Koska vakuudeksi armosta
jo valo koittanee?
Koska päässee sydän vaivasta
ja usko kasvanee?
Ah, pääsisinpä näkemään
jo Herran autuuden!
Vaan vaikken vielä nähnytkään,
saan kerran nähdä sen.


Herra Jeesus, pyydän sinua
kaikesta sielusta,
hoida Hengelläsi minua,
murheissa lohduta.
Kirkasta, Herra, itsesi
nyt sydämelleni
ja verelläsi puhtaaksi
tee omatuntoni.


Kun mä kerran pääsen tuntemaan
voimaa sun veresi,
en mä enää jouda tuhlaamaan
kallista lahjaasi.
Tee minut kaipaavaiseksi,
tyhjäksi kokonaan,
armoa kerjääväiseksi,
armosi että saan.


Herra Jeesus, eteen katseesi
käyn tässä toivossa.
Kyynelin nyt käännyn puoleesi
ja pyydän armoa.
En mene pois, ennen kuin saan
haavoissas kalliissa
levon ja ilon autuaan,
niin, aamen uskossa.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Suositut tekstit | The most popular posts